Our Office

Calle 10 A # 34 11 Hotel Diez Categoría, office 4014


+57 318 5324130


If you are involved in a traffic accident on public transportation Did you know that you have the right to file a claim?

Public transportation in our country is regulated by a regime of special laws that provide, among other things, the obligation of the person providing the service to ensure that while doing so, he/she is safe and sound, and also that he/she arrives at his/her destination in the same conditions.
Every time you access an authorized means of public transportation, whether it is a bus, minibus, cab or the Integrated Metro system in its trains, metro-cable, metro-plus or feeders, etc.; a transportation contract is entered into. Many times, without people being aware of this.
It is also normal that the same person does it several times a day and in different means from those listed,  that is where the obligation of the carrier arises.
From this daily exercise arise duties and rights for those involved in it, and it is possible that during the trips Traffic Accidents may occur and that these may generate injuries or damages to passengers. These damages or injuries can in turn generate a series of damages for people.
Fortunately, for this type of situation, public service vehicles are required to have an insurance or contractual civil liability policy, or passenger damage insurance as it is colloquially known, so that the insurance companies will repair or compensate for all damages that may be caused.
It is important to emphasize that self-care should always be encouraged in all daily scenarios and even more so when we travel by public transportation, where we must abide by the rules of coexistence and eventually the attention of drivers or authorized personnel.
Now, if for any reason you or your family members are involved in an accident on board a means of public transportation, it is important to follow the following recommendations:

  1. Be sure to report the situation to the emergency and attention lines that are inside the vehicles, and also report the accident to the 123 platform, it is very important that the event is recorded. It should be noted that, as a general rule, the traffic authorities will go to the scene to report the situation and collect information. However, this may vary depending on the seriousness of the facts and other factors. It is also possible that in some cases drivers may be reluctant to allow the authorities to intervene; in this case, if the agencies in charge do not attend, an attempt should be made to generate evidence of the event. We recommend that you take photos, record videos and ask the driver of the vehicle and other passengers (if possible) for their contact information, so that they can attest to what happened. However, remember that the ability to call the authorities is a right and neither the driver nor any other person can prevent you from doing so.
  2. Once the incident has passed, a series of expenses and situations that must be documented begin to be generated, so information must be collected on the damages or economic losses caused. For example, by keeping the invoices for medications, travel, or any other value related to the accident, medical records, etc., in order to later request the return of these items to the insurance company.
  3. In any situation or context it will always be important to have a complete legal advice, with a lawyer specialized in the subject, who can clearly establish the means available to obtain compensation for the damages suffered. This is due to the fact that the insurance guild and the companies that comprise it contemplate a series of requirements that may vary. In addition, depending on the situation, there are types of damages that can be claimed and the accompaniment of a suitable professional will avoid the delay of the processes and will ensure a better management and therefore a comprehensive compensation.

If you or one of your family members has been the victim of a traffic accident on public transportation, please contact us for advice.

Scroll to Top